a month ago
501 South 5th St
Richmond, Virginia, 23219-0501
Reporting to the R&D Manager, the R&D researcher will perform a variety of qualitative and quantitative testing and help with trial work in support of innovation projects relating to the strategic plan of WestRock business. We develop a variety of processes used to produce paperboard-based substrates that are used in packaging applications by WestRock’s customers. The work is innovation-intense and requires a high level of creativity. The successful candidate can expect to tackle a variety of challenging tasks and opportunities to advance sustainable packaging efforts.
Major Job Responsibilities:
· Operate and calibrate equipment.
· Create prototype materials and collect, compile and analyze data using simple statistical tools.
· Actively participate in planning, performing, analyzing, and documenting testing and pilot trials at our facilities and plant locations, including testing and sampling at customer facilities to support R&D projects from concept to commercialization.
· Lead fit-for-use and customer properties requirement testing to solve technical problems.
· Learn new test methods to expand materials science and technology innovation capabilities.
· Work with R&D scientists and other cross-functional teams on strategic projects for product development to address unmet customer needs.
· Safety is paramount to WestRock, a focus on safe work practices will be required. Report safety concerns to management for continuous improvement.
Critical Skills / Capabilities:
· Strong technical background and a proven ability to complete tasks on a project without close supervision.
· Knowledge of papermaking and paperboard products, including material testing, strongly preferred.
· Strong teamwork skills, including ability to contribute to cross functional teams.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Ability to generate draft technical reports for review with management.
· High degree of mechanical aptitude
· Computer skills to include proficiency with spreadsheets and graphing.
· Ability to contribute in a lab, pilot plant and production environment.
· Ability to lift and carry samples routinely weighing 50 pounds.
· Travel up to 25%
· PC skills; Preferred i.e. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Standard Statistical Lab Tools.
· 2 to 3 years of experience in a laboratory setting, preferred.
· Paper and packaging industry experience is highly preferred and significant experience may be taken in lieu of degree.
· Associates Degree with 2 to 5 years relevant experience or BA/BS in science, engineering, technology, or materials science discipline